Utilizing Medical Education to Move Health Equity Forward
All health professionals embrace and enact the principles of high quality, equitable and culturally responsive care, to eliminate health and health care disparities, and to eliminate racism in healthcare.
We commit ourselves to our vision and guiding principles. We pursue the following activities in support thereof:
- Curriculum development, implementation, evaluation in health professional education.
- Dissemination of curriculum to health professionals in training and practice.
- Provide support and leadership to health professional education programs.
- Provide advocacy for the vision and principles
- We believe every health professional must value diversity and respect difference in order to provide sensitive, effective and responsive health care to all patients and their families.
- We believe that understanding and respecting each personís health beliefs and personal values is essential to provision of patient-centered care.
- We believe that health is determined by a wide variety of influences beyond biology (including familial, social, psychological, environmental, economic, political, legal, cultural and spiritual factors). Understanding and addressing the complex connections between these factors is a duty of healthcare professionals.
- We believe that the health care workforce and teaching institutions must reflect the diversity of the population it serves.
- We believe that medical institutions who are committed to diversity have the responsibility to ensure that their learners, teachers and researchers achieve the knowledge, skills and attitude necessary to sustain an institutional climate that values and embraces inclusiveness, equity, and cultural awareness.
- We believe that health care is a human right